Monday, March 26, 2012

Locks of Love

Leah's hair was very long. We've only trimmed it once. When we came home from China, eventually the front was longer than the back so we cut the to even it out. It was a nightmare. She screamed and cried the entire time. I never wanted to put her through it again so we just let it grow. I also knew there was very little chance of her sitting in a chair for more than a few seconds.  Keep in mind that she is our wild child and it doesn't take long for her hair to be all over the place, so for my sanity I wanted to give her a short bob (besides, she looks even more adorable with short hair, if that is possible!)  Then a friend's daughter was diagnosed with leukemia. As Hailey started to lose her hair, we knew what we had to do. Leah was a little afraid at first and did not want any part of anything that involved the word "cut". We've talked about it on and off and together have read Trish's blog . We even practiced cutting the hair of one of her dolls. I didn't want to force her, I wanted her to understand on her own, after all it is her hair!. Not sure she fully grasps the extent of this, but its a start.

Leah is starting to understand the concept of "giving" and is now looking forward to sending her pony tail to the "hair fairy" to help make wigs for kids like Hailey.

There are a few organizations that do this, but we chose Locks of Love.

You can read Hailey's story and about Locks of Love in the links above. But above all, please  join our family as we pray for Hailey and her family.

Hailey is in the middle next to Leah.


Daddy measuring before we left for the salon ( the first attempt) to make sure we had at least 10 inches


The first look of shock when the hairdresser showed her the pony tail, right before she blurted out "What the heck?" (I know, totally inappropriate language, but oh so cute!)

So proud!
The after effect

And it wouldn't be my sweetness without the silly poses
 We are so very proud of Leah. We thought she didn't understand, then, as I was reading Trish's blog this morning, she happened to walk past me and happened to notice Hailey and says, "Mommy Haily no get my hair yet?" "Is OK, it  not cold outside"

4 comments:

Trish said...

Words can't even describe how I feel reading this and knowing she did it all thinking about my little girl. We are so forever thankful for everyones support, kind words, prayers and of course Leah's act of true love and giving. What a generous heart your little one has, love to her from all of us and esp. Hailey. Trish

dawn said...

Daisy

I found Trish's blog a few months ago and have become a faithful reader. Such an incredible and beautiful family. Imagine my surprise yesterday when I say Leah's face on it. What a small world.
Dawn, South Fl Asia Group

dawn said...

Daisy

I found Trish's blog a few months ago and have become a faithful reader. Such an incredible and beautiful family. Imagine my surprise yesterday when I say Leah's face on it. What a small world.
Dawn, South Fl Asia Group

dawn said...

and I forgot to mention that Lily is also doing this. Due to the fact that she swims every night of the week on a team we are not donating with locks of love but through wigs for kids, they need only 7 inches. Lily's hair is getting pretty dry from being in a swim cap so much.
We do have thoughtful kiddies if I do say so myself.
what a fabulous thing you did Leah, way to go.